Monday, March 28, 2005

It seems night is the best time to write these

It’s 11 pm on Easter Sunday.

I just got through watching Jesus Christ Superstar.

I love it when I can get into the Jesus thing again. I don’t like to admit it, I like to think that I am a Pluralist and have love for all religions, but I am a little jaded toward Christianity. So when I am able to get into the Jesus thing I realize that Christianity has nothing to do with Christians. Most of the things Jesus taught are things that I believe anyway. His teachings are so universal. I really liked this movie because I think that it took away some of the us and them that is so common in historical renditions of the Crucifixion. I don’t believe that there was really a bad guy. People did bad things sure. Stupid mistakes and Blind Foolishness. But I don’t think that Judas was a bad guy. I mean he was one of the twelve disciples for heaven sakes. I think that he just made a terrible terrible mistake, that just so happened to be the only thing that could have made the Atonement possible.

It’s like Satan. (Warning, this may get “blasphemous”. Not for the weak of soul.) Out of all of the people in the history of the universe, he has the worst wrap. I mean sure it took Christ and it took God to make this little plan work. But if Satan didn’t play the role that he decided to play, none of this whole thing could have been possible. All Satan had to do was not tempt Christ, not tempt the Jews to kill him, not tempt the Romans to play along, and the whole thing would have come crashing down on their heads. No more atonement. No more life resurrection. No more living with god. And if you believe the version that I was taught, (the LDS version) he knew the whole plan before he ever decided to become the devil. He knew all along that someone would have to sacrifice their lives to save the world.

I would like to hear Jesus’ teachings in his own words. Not through the filter of man.
I don’t like the bibles rendition of things. I don’t think Jesus ever wanted to be what he has become. I think that he wanted to teach. I think that he wanted to help people. I don’t think that he wanted to be made into a God, or even the son of God. But we sure do like our religion. We like to have our institution. But as the Sufis say, “Religion is, at best, a finger pointing to the moon.”

But I guess we all need our Crutch to see the divine. Ill stick to my way and you can stick to your way.

I like the question they pose in the end. They ask Jesus (not the character but a question to the real man) what he thinks of Buddha and Mohamed. Interesting Question.

Jesus is good
dlb

1 Comments:

Blogger Bulbo Loamsdown the Old said...

But isn't the movie Jesus Christ super star just Jesus’ teachings through the filter of man? A different man admittedly, but a man (or woman) none the less. But I admit I would also like to hear His words from His own lips.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mr dlb style