Monday, March 28, 2005

Sat Nam!

I am up at the Kundalini Hour typing this. The kitchen Guru will be sad that I didn’t come to Yoga @ 4 am, when he finds out that I was up at that time writing my Blog. Sorry, I never was one for waking up early, today is just different. I don’t know why I woke up, I must have been hot.

NE way… now I can’t stop thinking so I might as well download to get my mind off of things.

Someone asked me recently what I meant by “conservatives use morals as Ballistic Missiles”.

So I shall attempt to answer this question in this Blog… “Danger Will Robinson!” You may be in for a long read so make sure your Tray and seat back are in their upright and locked positions and …


We as a Human race like to put labels on things. “I am black, you are white” “I am Gay, you are Straight” “I am Christian, you are Muslim” “I am Democrat, you are Republican”. Because labels, we have found have helped us to classify things and help us understand the world that we live in. Usually it seems that these labels were just for Clarification purposes. “I mean the Black Woman, with Blonde Hair.” With that type of descriptive words you can be sure to know who I am talking about in a room full of people. And so in that sense I find these labels ok. But then based on fear we have taken those labels and moved them into this new format of speaking “Yeah, she is a Slut!” And by doing so, I feel, we are disconnecting ourselves from that part of the human experience. Or at least we are trying.

So on that note, I have created my own form of swearing. Any words used to label for the sake of division, us against them, is my form of swearing. Those other words don’t mean anything and really don’t hurt anyone. But this new form of swearing does hurt someone. It hurts the person using the words.

Let me state that I do swear with these words. I use Conservative and Liberal like swear words more than I like to admit. So I am not trying to be hypocritical, just saying it as I see it.

I think that we as a human race do a lot to break these barriers down, especially now that the world is getting smaller, with the Age of information and the Internet. You look at the world before the turn of the Century, and you had to be a straight white male to even breathe without worry of persecution. And slowly but surely we change our minds.

We as a human race at one point thought that the color of your skin determined your status in this world. I am not only talking about slavery but all over the world. Skin color is a very visible difference and nor one that can be easily changed or hidden. And so it has always been a very popular choice to create division. And normally that was spurned on by this religious Zealot fervor, that “we” are the chosen people, and so therefore better than you. I think that this is a way to make us feel more important and less insignificant in this whole big universe.

You can see this with any of the labels that society uses today. “We, the chosen people are straight. So anyone who is other from that is abnormal and no longer part of We, and are now them. And then we proceed to strip rights of the them. “Them cannot be married because we the chosen ones deem it so.”

This is why I say that Conservatives use morals like Ballistic Missiles. It seems like we make leaps and bounds in breaking down social flaws like these labels and someone, based on an us and them moral kick, strike those advances down.

“We should teach Abstinence only to our children so that they don’t have pre-marital Sex.” Well what if it isn’t my moral to abstain before marriage. What then. And then if I don’t abstain before marriage then I don’t know anything about safe sex and the risks of disease and pregnancy. My high school had abstinence only policies in our high school, in good old Happy Valley Utah. And our teen pregnancy rate is higher than the national average. HUH! Guess no one ever looked up those statistics did they.

“We have only one partner in our lives. And anymore than that is not of We. Anyone who chooses to love more than one person is now and forever more a them. Anyone who chooses to not be married is a them.”

NE way…

I think you see where I am going with this. I feel that any statement to separate our race into categories and subcategories, on the basis to create Hate and division is wrong. Anything! Weather it be race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, Gender Identity, right down to the number of sexual partners you choose to have in succession or at the same time.

Now I do normally consider this to be a conservative problem. And I realize that I am creating an us and them when I do that. And I am working on putting love into that. Because I realize that it is a Human problem. And that is my first step to change.

Because when it comes right down to it, we all are the same. And what makes us different doesn’t make us bad. It makes us Unique and special (all short bus jokes aside).

I think that maybe when we need a Scapegoat in the form of a label we should just use Cannibal, because nobody likes them.

Good night Neverland
dlb

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to be argumentative, but according to the Alan Guttmacher Institute (www.guttmacher.org), the states with the highest pregnancy rates are Nevada, Arizona, Mississippi, New Mexico,and Texas. The states with the lowest rates were North Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire, Minnesota and Maine. Utah was actually ranked 45th in the nation concerning teen pregnancy birth rates.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mr dlb style